Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Thank You, But I'll Make It Myself


Moving is never much fun, but it is at least a chance to re-think decoration, arrangement, and organization, even in the tiniest of abodes (and mine qualifies).   My challenge is to decorate my place of residence as though I am an adult and want to live in a mature environment.  

Long story short (I'm very wishy-washy when it comes to themes and colors), I finally committed to the colors I've been dancing around for a few years: brown and turquoise (or varying shades of teal, aqua, etc.), an increasingly popular color combination.  It's difficult to find consistent shades of turquoise, but it's still a pretty combination. 

My problem is that I can never find accents that aren't exorbitantly priced and are pleasing to my uncertain tastes.  In January, I attempted an art project that was sufficient as decoration but disappointing in its final form.  This is a picture of it:   

 I disliked it very much, but I preferred it to spending more money on supplies, so it stayed on the wall until I moved last week.  Unfortunately, the panels (made of cheap foam) suffered an unfortunate accident involving a garbage bag and did not survive.  



I decided to make a second attempt at homemade decorations, this time actually looking for inspiration on the Internet.  Amazon offers lots of wall art, from affordable to ridiculously priced, but the only example of art I could find that appealed to me was the following:

Please note the selling price.  I really like it, although it's a bit flowery.  So I thought I could attempt my own version:

  
 Three panels, each 12 inches wide and 36 inches high.  A bit clumsy, perhaps, but I'm not an artist by any means and I'm much more satisfied knowing I made this rather than paying a large chunk of change for something that I'm going to forget is on the wall.  Overall, I'm very happy with the result. I don't think this picture does it justice. 
:)


And it cost less than $20.  

7 comments:

  1. wow what a great job......and im sure a great sence of accomplishment....are you gonna be selling them for 475?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I might take commissions, with half paid up front. I'd be willing to take $299.99, but I think that's as low as I can go. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I like that! Do you ship to Croatia?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, Elaine! I might even be able to manage a discount for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo! I just realized I have an international following! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you for hire?? Wow - that looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow fancy pants! you are a scholar, a witty writer, and an artist!

    ReplyDelete